Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Back to school!


Well it's official. I am once again a college student. Today was my first day of class at the University of Phoenix. As you all probably know, I started working there at the end of July. Let me just say that this is a major adjustment for me. I'm used to being outside on the go every day, not stuck in a big room with a bunch of cubicles. It's been really challenging to just sit in the same chair all day long. Honestly, I really don't like it. Darn this bad housing market right now. I've realized how much I really do miss being a superintendent. It was such an awesome job. I think I would've done that forever if it just wasn't so unstable. Oh well, moving on. This job has it's perks. One of them, and probably the biggest one, is that I get free tuition for school. Obviously since I haven't finished yet, this is huge for me. All the classes are online, I do one class at a time, and each class lasts five weeks long. I'm working on my criminal justice degree to help me in my police officer job pursuit. The plan is to hit it as hard as I can as long as I'm working there. After a couple of classes, I can double up and take two at a time and finish at a much faster pace. Meanwhile, I will continue to apply to different PD jobs and if I get one, then I'll take it. Most departments give tuition reimbursement so if I do get a job somewhere, I'll continue to take classes. A little further in the future I hope to get a job with the FBI/CIA, there's jobs at either agency that I think I would enjoy. I was on their websites today to see what their requirements are. I started to get really excited just knowing that I'm actually starting in the right direction with beginning classes today. It's going to be a long road, but I'm up for it. Class today wasn't bad. They start us off pretty easy. I'll keep you updated as classes go on. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats Nate. I have told you this before, but I think a college degree is invaluable. Here John and I are starting at the bottom again! I think if you have a degree and have to start over - it's not at the bottom. Good luck, we miss you, and know you are doing an awesome thing!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Yay for Nate! Back in school...I'll hopefully only be a few weeks behind you in getting started! Although, I'm not excited about having to pay an application fee (grad program) and higher resource fees! Waaah! Oh well, I'm just a baby. I'm so glad I have you to hang out with at work...see you tomorrow!

Cydnee Gee said...

good luck!! that's how i finished my degree, with my classes laid out as yours are. just stick with it. it'll be ok. if you want to complain about homework, just let me know, i'll complain with you! i'm right there too buddy!

Noah Rasheta said...

Congratulations and good luck! Hopefully you'll turn out to be the straight A student like I've been my whole life!