Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Done With Day 2

Day 2 is over and things are looking good. Today was the physical fitness test at 6:30 this morning. It went really well. I even did better then I thought I would. The minimum standards to pass are 17 push-ups in a minute, 27 sit-ups in a minute, and a 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes and 35 seconds. We started with the push-ups. I paired up with another guy from Utah. I was able to get 59 push-ups done. I figured I'd get somewhere near 40 at the most, but I was shocked that I was able to keep going. It must have been the adrenaline. I had the highest number of push-ups so that was good. I was able to get 41 sit-ups. I thought I would struggle the most with this and would have liked to have done better, but come to find out I was the third highest out of the group. By the way, there was probably 20 guys who were trying. The run was last. This is what I thought I would do best on. To my surprise, it was the hardest thing for me. It could have possibly been the heat, or an all asphalt track, and the fact that we did all three right in a row and I put a lot of effort into the push-ups and sit-ups. I ended up finishing the run in 12 minutes and 6 seconds, so I did really well, but I was in the middle of the group. I was just hoping to one of the leaders, but I guess I shouldn't complain.
An hour after the fitness test I met with Detective France for my background interview. It was about a two and half hour interview where he asked me all kinds of questions about my background. Drug usage, alcohol usage, employment history, criminal history, and all kinds of random questions. It was a little tense because you pretty much have to tell him all the bad things you've done in your life, big and small. Luckily I don't have too much to tell, but it's hard because you're nervous that you might forget about something you did and then remember on the polygraph. They use these notes for the polygraph. It went well and I'm scheduled for the polygraph tomorrow morning at 8. I'm a little nervous but it should be no big deal. This is my last step for this trip. Once this is done, I wait for a couple weeks and they will send me a letter telling me if they are going to continue with the background check, or if they are going to pass. So I'll be on pins and needles waiting for a couple weeks, but hopefully it will all go well.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who is supporting me. It really helps a lot to know that all the people I love and care about are pulling for me. Thank you so much for the encouragement. It has given me the extra boost of confidence that I needed. Thank you all so much and I love you all.

4 comments:

Julie said...

It must have been all those corner drills for chacha that helped your center so you could become so strong! You are awesome! You're going to be one fine cop - I guess pretty soon we can call you Ponch! (Is that show way before your time?)

Reagan and Mike said...

crazy you guys are actually out there! i haven't talked to you guys forever. but i have to say i'm jealous. i love az and i know you guys will too! i just wanted to leave you with my favorite memories of you both.
nate. well let me just start off with -coke buddies- but my favorite would have to be our phase 10 nights and australia with ben, ha ha it doesn't get much better than that.
and celeste- this one's a little more recent but i had to let you know how much i appreciated all the days you came to visit dev and me when we couldn't leave the house. it really meant so much and although things got crazy and we stopped seeing eachother as much i'll always remember that. love you both! good luck with everything!

Nana Maggie said...

Hi Celeste, I guess this is the only way that I can get ahold of you. I just want to thank you for all that you have done for my girls. Especially for Vanessa, I know that sometimes she could be difficult. But sometimes I think she is the most difficult for the people that she cares about the most. I know how hard she has had it with you moving so far away. I would love it if you would add us to your blog. The girls have their own addresses, but mine is "thelifeandtimesofmaggiebrooks1.blogspot.com. I would really love to stay in touch. I think it would be good for Vanessa. She does not get close to many people and I know that deep down she really looks up to you. Thanks again and enjoy your new home. Maggie

Meg and Brad said...

Hey - I would love an update on you two and the new place with the hot weather!