Monday, July 14, 2008

Day One Is Over

Just an update on what's happened so far on my police officer journey. Today I took the multiple choice part of the Mesa police exam. It started at 8:30 this morning. It was 2 hours long and 100 questions. The minimum passing score is 70%. It doesn't sound that hard. I thought I would be able to get through it pretty easily. Well, the test was a lot harder than I thought. I was really nervous while taking the test because I wasn't real sure that I was going to pass. It took me one hour and fifty minutes to finish. Luckily, I scored an 81 so I did pass. I was hoping for a higher score but I was just glad I passed it. It was a really hard and intimidating test but now it's over and I'm on to step two.
The second part of the process was an oral board interview test. I met with two officers on the hiring board for the police department. The interview started at 1:30. They asked me 8 questions. Most of them were just like a job interview; Why do you want to be a police officer, what makes you qualified, why are you better then the other candidates, etc. The other two questions were situational questions where they gave me two scenarios and asked how I would respond to each one. I really felt like a did a good job during the interview. I felt like it was easy and I breezed through it. I could be wrong but when I walked out of the interview I knew that I had passed. The two officers met for about ten minutes to discuss my answers then called me back in. They told me that I had passed and would be moving on to the next step. I asked if they could tell me what I scored on the interview but they could not tell me. Hopefully I got a high score. I really felt like I did.
So the next step is tomorrow morning at 6:30. It's the physical fitness portion of the test. I'm not really worried because I can do the minimum pretty easily. I'm just going to push myself to try and get a really good score that will look better to the hiring board. I'll let you know what happens. So far so good though.

5 comments:

Shantelle said...

Congrats!!! We are pulling for you! Good luck tomorrow!

The Fishers said...

Isn't my husband SOOOO COOL!!! He will be even more COOl and Awesome when he's a cop, so watch out!!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Nate, you are doing so awesome... I'm so glad that you're able to stay with us while you go through the hiring process with the MPD. Good job so far, and good luck in the morning!

Julie said...

Way to go Nate! You are a smart charming guy so I'm sure they will realize they are lucky to have you. BTW - did you sell your condo? It's going to be weird not to be able to see you when we visit in Utah. Good luck!

Cydnee Gee said...

of course you passed day 1!!! keep it up. you got those good fisher genes. . . . .:-)